Isn't it amazing how hummingbirds hover and then quickly zip away? If you enjoy watching these little dynamos, entice them to your yard with the best hummingbird feeder.
It's not only fantastic to watch these miniature bundles of energy, but stress relieving as well. I find I always have a smile on my face if there's a hummer near.
Did you know that hummingbirds can fly right, left, up, down, backward, and even upside down? And while other birds get their power to fly from their downstroke, hummingbirds have strength on the upstroke as well.
The tiny feet of hummingbirds are almost useless, except to perch. If they want to move even 2 inches, they must fly. It's fascinating that these tiny little birds can fly very fast and stop almost instantly.
They have excellent memories, too; they can remember where they got their food from previous years. To keep those little wings beating around 75 times a second, they'd better remember where the food is located.
So if you enjoy watching the zipping antics of hummingbirds, an excellent way to get them to come to you is to be a source of food. And for that, you're going to want the best hummingbird feeder.
Get Their Attention
Hummingbirds need to eat once every 10 to 15 minutes to sustain their supercharged metabolisms. To do that, they will dip their long beaks into up to 2,000 flowers each day.
To help ensure these intriguing little birds visit your yard, make sure your yard offers flowers, perches, insects, water, and the best hummingbird feeder. Those are the key ingredients of a healthy place for hummers to feed and frolic.
Hummingbirds are attracted to brightly colored flowers, including yellow, orange, pink, and purple, but the color that seems to get their attention the most is red.
Hummingbirds appear to associate red with food; is that because most feeders are red? Or are most feeders red because hummers eat mostly from red flowers? We'll let you ponder that one.
When planting a hummingbird-friendly garden, you will want to have flowers that bloom throughout the year. You will also want to leave enough space between the plantings so that those quick-zipping hummers have room to maneuver.
Shrubs and trees are also essential considerations because those energic little birds do have to have a place to catch their breath. Not to mention a place to sleep or hide from predators. A little swing might be helpful, as well.
Eliminate pesticides as much as possible. While nectar is an essential food for hummers, they also need protein from pollen and insects. Spiders and insects (arthropods) are a critical part of their diet.
As hummingbirds like to bathe frequently, provide your yard with a constant source of water. A misting device is an especially attractive source of water to hummers, but a drip fountain will get their attention too.
Now that you've got their attention, what do they like?
What Hummers Like
Unlike pollinators that are attracted by the scent, it's the color that attracts hummingbirds to flowers. But the bloom shape is also important.
Tubular shaped flowers, especially if they're nodding, more easily accommodate the hummingbirds' long beaks. And those nodding flowers make it easier for a hovering hummer to take a nice long drink of that nectar.
Not only do they eat spiders and insects from their webs, as aerial hunters, hummingbirds also snatch small insects from the air. So it's beneficial to hang overripe fruit or banana peels close to the feeder to attract fruit flies.
They like to nest near their food supply, and they often make their nests with lichens and spider webs. So, encourage their nesting by maintaining some small shrubs and deciduous trees. If you want to provide them with some material to build their nests, you can help them out by hanging some nest bedding balls.
Backyard feeders can be critical to hummingbirds survival, especially during fall and spring migrations. But it's important to remember that hummingbirds can be territorial, so it's best to have more than one feeder.
Place the feeders far enough apart to help keep one bird from dominating the others. Hanging feeders in the shade will prevent the nectar from fermenting. It will also help keep the bees from feeding at the feeder as they prefer feeding in the sun.
Fill the feeders with sugar water made by combining refined (not organic) white granulated sugar with four parts water. Boil the water and sugar for one to two minutes to dissolve the sugar completely. If you use water from your tap, boiling the water will also remove any chlorine. Cool and store the sugar syrup in the refrigerator.
Never use honey, artificial sweeteners, or red dye. All of them can be harmful to hummers.
While there is no reliable research that red dye is harmful, there are growing anecdotal concerns of red dye causing tumors. With brightly colored feeders, there's no need for the red nectar.
Make sure to change the nectar regularly before it gets cloudy. In warm weather, it's recommended to change the nectar at least twice a week. To cut down on waste, only fill your feeder halfway, unless you have many hummingbirds feeding.
Clean the feeders once a week with a solution of one part white vinegar to four parts water. If you use warm soapy water, make sure to rinse the feeder thoroughly because soap residue can be harmful to hummers.
If you have mold in the feeder that you can't reach with a brush, put some sand in the water and swish back and forth until the sand rubs off the mold.
How We Chose The Best Hummingbird Feeder
To narrow our choices for the best hummingbird feeder, we searched the internet, researching and reviewing professional opinions and customer comments and reviews.
We have no business or financial ties to any of the manufacturers on our list.
The goal of this best hummingbird feeder research is to provide you with sufficient factual, unbiased information so that you can make a confident, informed, and easier decision when purchasing the best hummingbird feeder for your yard.
The Best Hummingbird Feeder, We Found 8
You can pick the best hummingbird feeder from our list of eight. Our list is in no particular order or preference.
Now is a good time to note that unless the manufacturer says otherwise, all hummingbird feeders should be hand washed. If you are going to wash your feeder in hot soapy water, many manufacturers recommend using Dawn dishwashing soap. But make sure you rinse the feeder thoroughly as soap residue may harm the hummer.
1. First Nature Hummingbird Feeder
- The bright red color attracts the most inquisitive hummingbirds
- With easy-to-fill wide-mouth jar Reservoirs and two-parts bases, First Nature hummingbird feeders are the easiest feeder on the market to clean
- The feeding ports will accommodate several hummer's at a time
- With First Nature hummingbird nectar concentrate, you can mix the correct proportions right in the feeder jar
First Nature's 32-ounce hummingbird feeder is a heavy-duty plastic feeder that holds 32 ounces of nectar. The patented two-part base twists apart for easy cleaning, and the bright red color will catch the attention of hummingbirds.
The circular perch allows hummers to comfortably stop for a sip from one of the 10 ports. The wide-mouth reservoir is easy to fill and clean.
Amazon customers rated this large feeder 4.3 out of 5.0 stars. An enthusiastic 70 percent of reviewers rated this product 5.0 out of 5.0 stars.
2. Aspect HummZinger® High View Excel
- The feeder includes a HighView perch that invites hummingbirds to rest comfortably as they drink from any of four feeding ports while also offering an unobstructed view of the birds.
- Bright red cover attracts hummingbirds from a distance and is easily removed so the bowl can be cleaned quickly and thoroughly.
- Constructed of unbreakable polycarbonate.
- 4 Feeding Ports.
The HummZinger® High View Excel UV-stabilized polycarbonate hummingbird feeder holds 16 ounces and is drip and leak proof. The cover removes easily for cleaning, and the bright red color will attract hummers, even from a distance
You can hang or post-mount this feeder with its solid brass stem. And the HighView perch invites hummers to feed comfortably through one of the six feeding ports. The raised flower design of the feeding ports diverts rain, and it comes with a built-in ant moat.
Amazon customers rated this made-in-the United States feeder with an average of 4.3 out of 5.0 stars. And 72 percent of reviewers rated this product 5.0 out of 5.0 stars.
3. Grateful Gnome Fiery Bell Tower Hummingbird Feeder
- 💥 VIBRANT BEAUTIFUL COLORS TO ATTRACT HUMMINGBIRDS 💥: We understand the types of colors that attract hummingbirds. We use a display of colors that are beautiful and closely imitates the natural flower look that the hummingbirds are attracted to.
- 🔥 EXPERIENCED GLASS ARTISANS 🔥: Each product is handmade and unique like a fingerprint, The entire process to creating just one of these is truly amazing and actually requires numerous people just to create one of them! Our collective team has perfected this process! !
- 🙏 GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE 🙏: At Grateful Gnome, We Worship Our Customers! We Are An American Company With A Dedicated Customer Service Team Just For Our Bird Feeders! Many Of Our Competitors Here On Amazon Are Not Domestic And Lack Adequate Customer Support As A Result! Our Customer Service Is Superb And Will Provide You With Immediate Assistance!
- RUGGED MATERIAL AND EASY TO CLEAN : Hand blown glass is very sturdy, thick, and durable. The color in the glass is embedded in two layers of glass and won't fade and damage. We engineered a nice rubber seal ring that prevents any leakage, 4 flower feeding ports for hummingbirds to drink from and a nice round perch for the hummingbird to rest on. The glass has portions where you can see through which makes it easy to seeing nectar levels. Very easy to refill and clean!
- 🎁 THE PERFECT GIFT 🎁: Gift This To A Friend or Family. They'll Love It! We are always coming out with new models, so be on the lookout!
Grateful Gnome's beautiful Fiery Bell Tower hummingbird feeder is a hand-blown glass feeder that holds 20 fluid ounces. It has a new design of glass threading instead of a threaded plastic sleeve. The beautiful red, yellow, and orange design will most assuredly get the attention of hummers.
This feeder is easy to assemble and hang from wire or a plant hanger, and an "S" hook in included. The raised circular perch gives the hummers a comfortable place to sit as they sip from one of the five red flower ports.
It's not a surprise that Amazon customers rated this unique feeder 4.8 out of 5.0 stars. An impressive 89 percent of reviewers rated this product 5.0 out of 5.0 stars.
4. REZIPO Blue Hand Blown Glass Hummingbird Feeder
- EASY TO CLEAN: The clear glass makes seeing red hummingbird nectar easy for refilling and cleaning purposes
- EASY TO FILL NECTAR: Clear glass, Wide-mouth reservoir and two-part base makes seeing and refilling the feeder with nectar simple and easy for your convenience
- ATTRACT HUMMINGBIRD: Brushed copper glass and bright color make the hummingbird feeder more attractive for hummingbirds
- RELIABLE MATERIAL: Innovative sealing ring aids in leak prevention, Hand Blown Glass is sturdy and durable
- PACKAGE INCLUDED: 1 glass hummingbird feeder, 1 ant moat, 1 metal hook, 1 cotton lanyard and 1 small brush
Another beautiful feeder is REZIPO's Blue Hand Blown Glass hummingbird feeder. This feeder holds 38 fluid ounces and has glass threading to connect to the base. The beautifully colored glass container attaches to a bright red base, making it hard for hummers to ignore.
The wide-mouth reservoir and two-part base make it easy to see when the feeder needs filling. This easy-to-clean feeder has a hanging ant moat and comes with four perches and feeding ports.
Amazon customers rated this beautiful feeder 4.5 out of 5.0 stars. A remarkable 80 percent of reviewers rated this product 5.0 out of 5.0 stars.
5. Perky-Pet® Cobalt Blue Antique Bottle Glass Hummingbird Feeder
No products found.
Perky-Pet® Cobalt Blue Antique Bottle Glass hummingbird feeder is another uniquely beautiful feeder for your yard. This 16-ounce cobalt blue hardened square glass antique bottle attaches to a brushed silver base.
The base comes apart easily for cleaning and refilling. There is a metal hanger incorporated in the design along with four shiny red feeding ports.
Amazon customers rated this pretty blue feeder 4.1 out of 5.0 stars. A notable 62 percent of reviewers rated this product 5.0 out of 5.0 stars.
6. Best-1 Hummingbird Feeder
The Birds Choice Best-1 hummingbird feeder has a clear glass measured reservoir so you can easily see when it's time to refill. And it easily attaches to the bright red plastic base.
The two-piece base is easy to remove from the reservoir for filling and cleaning. And the red base has two circular perches for hummers so they can sip comfortably from any of the eight feeding stations.
Amazon customers rated this popular feeder 4.3 out of 5.0 stars. A noteworthy 68 percent of reviewers rated this product 5.0 out of 5.0 stars
7. More Birds Vintage Hummingbird Feeder
- NECTAR CAPACITY: Holds 20 fluid ounces of hummingbird nectar
- FEEDING PORTS: Features five flower shaped feeding ports to accommodate multiple hummingbirds
- BEAUTIFUL DESIGN: Vintage bottle design provides an antique feel with burnt penny finish base
- ATTRACT MORE HUMMINGBIRDS: Red is a hummingbird's favorite color; attract more with the red flower feeding ports
- EASY CLEANING: We recommend washing your hummingbird feeder by hand with warm soapy water. Please refrain from putting your feeder in the dishwasher
More Birds 20-ounce vintage hummingbird feeder has a beautiful aqua-tinted antique glass reservoir that attaches to a burnt penny finished base. A sturdy metal hanger is incorporated into the design of this feeder.
This feeder has a wide bottle opening and detachable flat base for ease of cleaning and refilling. It also has five integrated perches positioned so hummers can easily sip from the five red-flowered feeding ports.
Amazon customers rated this vintage feeder 4.2 out of 5.0 stars. A respectable 70 percent of reviewers rated this product 5.0 out of 5.0 stars.
8. Stokes Select Ruby Prism Hummingbird Feeder
- MODERN DESIGN: Designed to specifically attract hummingbirds, Stokes seemlessly creates an attractive prism-looking red feeder that looks great in any outdoor space
- BEST QUALITY HUMMINGBIRD FEEDER: Stokes offers the best quality feeders - Ruby is constructed of durable, shatter proof polycarbonate unlike glass, and a stainless steel base and flowers for fantastic weather resistance
- SIMPLE AND HASSLE FREE: No difficult lock mechanisms or small openings that require funneling seed - just one easy to fill and clean dish
- PROTECT THE BIRDS: A portion of ALL Stokes Select proceeds is donated to bird habitat and conservation, so you can create a better bird environment not just for YOUR outdoor areas!
- HIGHLY RATED: Stokes Select is a common household name for a reason - our birdfeeders, birdhouses, bird accessories, squirrel and ant proofing designs and materials WORK making your life, and bird's lives, easy!
The very unique Stokes Select Ruby Prism hummingbird feeder is specifically designed to attract hummingbirds. The 24-ounce red prism-shaped shatter-proof polycarbonate reservoir attaches to a stainless steel base.
The Ruby Prism has a base that pulls apart easily for cleaning and filling. With its leak-resistant snug seal, there won't be any messy drips. It comes with an "S" shaped hook so you can hang this piece-of-art feeder in a place of prominence.
Amazon customers rated light-catching feeder 4.2 out of 5.0 stars. An extraordinary 72 percent of reviewers rated this product 5.0 out of 5.0 stars.
Plus A Bonus For Those With The Patience Of Job
Here's a fun bonus. For those of you with patience galore or those parents who want to get the kids to sit still and be quiet for a while, this one's for you.
Aroma Trees' handheld hummingbird feeders are perfect for all ages. This two-pack of handheld feeders also comes with suction cup mounts for when you get tired of sitting still. They are small enough to suction to your window and not fall off.
These bright red feeders with their vibrant yellow flowers also include perches for the hummers to sit and sip as well as a brush to keep the feeders clean.
Amazon customers rated this fantastic feeder 4.6 out of 5.0 stars. An impressive 81 percent of reviewers rated this product 5.0 out of 5.0 stars.
Now Wait And Watch
You've planted the flowers, and you picked the best hummingbird feeder from our list and filled it with nectar. Now sit back and wait for the hummers to show up. You might even want to try the hand-held feeder while you're waiting.
Here are some things to remember, whichever best hummingbird feeder you choose.
Because you should change the nectar at least twice a week, only fill your feeders halfway so that you will waste less nectar.
If you make your nectar, use one part refined white table sugar to four parts water. Boil the mixture for two minutes or until you dissolve all the sugar. Do not add red dye and keep the syrup in the refrigerator.
Wash with warm soapy water or with white vinegar and water. Always make sure you rinse the feeder thoroughly.
To keep the bees at bay, place your best hummingbird feeder in the shade. And if you find mold in your feeder that you can't reach, put some sand in water and shake vigorously until the sand cleans off the mold.
And do your best not to put insecticides in the hummer's food chain.
The final word: It is a myth that hummingbirds migrate on the backs of geese. These mighty minuscule marvels migrate on their own wing power. So, if your feeders are in the path of migration, keep them filled from early spring through late fall.
Let us know in the comments below which best hummingbird feeder you picked and other ways you attract hummingbirds to your backyard. And we're especially interested in how many of you got hummingbirds to feed while you held the feeder.